Monday, March 7, 2011

Blog 3 1/22/11 Experiment

My Experiment: The effect of water pollutants on the metals iron and copper.
Connections to the environment: This helps because there are an ever-increasing amount of water pollution, and the world is dependent on structures, generally with their foundations being metal. If these foundations are weakened, they can easily collapse, and cause human risk. The major water pollutants that I am working with are drano, which has sodium hydroxide in it, sulfuric acid, water, salt water, clorax which has chlorine in it, and ammonia. These are all major water pollutants, but of the numerous pollutants, I picked these because these were the most corrosive water pollutants I could get, and I have three weeks to do my experiment instead of years of corrosion that the pollutants have to be in contact with the metal to affect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment